Baleshwar

View in Google Map
Type: UA
Population: 156430
Class: I
About City Baleshwar city is governed by Municipal Corporation which comes under Baleshwar Metropolitan Region. The Baleshwar city is located in the state of Odisha. It is best known for Chandipur beach. It is also the site of the Indian Ballistic Missile Defense Program's Integrated Test Range, located 18 km. south of Balasore. The Defence Research and Development Organisation developed many different missiles such as Nag, Brahmos, Agni Missile among others here. Baleshwar has a hot and humid climate. The district receives rainfall of about 1568.4 mm during the monsoon season that begins from June. Balasore is a place of scenic beauty and a major tourist attraction, also because of its historical monuments, such as various temples in the area. There are a few hill ranges in the region too. It is 207 km north-east of Bhubaneswar by road. Balasore is the main town in the District of Balasore. The primary occupation of people in the district of Balasore is agriculture. Balasore district is mostly known for the cultivation of paddy, since rice is the staple cereal of the local people. The district has four major revenue sources - industries, agriculture, fishing and tourism. The main markets of Balasore are Nua Bazar, Motiganj, FM Square, Vivekanand Marg, Station Square, ITI Chakh, Kachehri Road, Town Hall and Nua Shahi. Many shopping malls are also in the pipeline. Balasore is the pride of Odisha with respect to education. Balasore is the most literate town of Odisha, having a literacy rate of 86%. Balasore has some good MBA and engineering colleges. Education is, by far, the best in the State of Odisha. Balasore district was part of the ancient Kalinga which later became a territory of Koshala or Utkal, till the death of Mukunda Dev. It was annexed by Moghuls in 1568 and remained as a part of their suzerainty up to the middle of eighteenth century (up to 1750–51). Then the Marathas occupied this part of Odisha and it became a part of the dominion of the Bhonsle Maratha Rajas of Nagpur. The East India Company ceded this part through a treaty called treaty of Deogaon in 1803 and it became a part of Bengal Presidency up to 1912. But the first English Settlement came into existence in Balasore region in 1634 while Sahajahan was the emperor at Delhi. The first of English factories was established in this region in 1640. The English settlement of Balasore, formed in 1642, was an early trading port for British, French and Dutch ships in the early age of Enlightenment and became a colonial part of first Danish India, later British India. In 1763 Balasore became a Danish possession, governed from Tranquebar, as part of Danish India. Due to the shallowness of its bay, the trading post was abandoned, leaving behind only a small settlement in the area. Balasore as a separate district was created in October 1828 while it was in the Bengal Presidency. On 7 November 1845, all Danish India was sold to the British, who made it part of British India. With the creation of Bihar Province, Odisha was diverted along with Balasore district from Bengal to Bihar. But with the creation of Odisha as a separate State on 1 April 1936 Balasore became an integral part of Odisha State. The national movement of independence surged ahead with the visit of Mahatma Gandhi in 1921. Similarly Praja Andolan was initiated against the ruler of Nilagiri State. The state of Nilagiri merged with state of Odisha in January 1948 and became a part of Balasore district. On 3 April 1993 Bhadrak sub-division became a separate district and from this day Balasore remains a district of Odisha with two Sub-divisions namely Balasore and Nilagiri having eight Tahasils, namely Balasore, Soro, Simulia, Nilagiri, Jaleswar, Basta, Baliapal and Remuna and 12 blocks namely Bhograi, Jaleswar, Baliapal, Basta, Balasore, Remuna, Nilagiri, Oupada, Khaira, Soro and Bahanaga. The name of the district is being derived from the name of the town.
Locations

All Rights Reserved@Jumarab Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.